Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chuckling Chukar

When I headed back out to replace the dataloggers, I spooked a group of chukar (Alectoris chukar). This video isn't the best, but if you turn up the volume you can hear their amusing calls as they scramble away.



Chukar are native to southern Eurasia and were introduced to the US from Pakistan as a game bird. Despite being hunted, they are quite successful and no doubt benefit from the artificial ponds at the spring. (A note to California chukar hunters...)

The dataloggers I replaced really are neat little devices. They record temperature and light intensity at set intervals. Even at a 15 minute interval, they have enough battery life and storage for three months!


datalogger weighted down with a rock


frisky damselflies

1 comment:

  1. I love the little birdies!!! I saw damselflies like that in Costa Rica and they had such vibrant colors- but they startled me because they were hooked together! There was always a blue one with a really really bright red one underneath- like 100s of them on the rocks along the river. I had forgotten all about them until I saw this picture!!!

    ReplyDelete