Thursday, July 8, 2010

Two Mini Adventures

No pictures today; I was out with the YCC crew again and was too busy wading though sagebrush and bitterbrush to cut the fence off its posts ahead of the crew. But here are two little stories to continue giving you a flavor for the job:

1. I've seen rattlesnakes, but today was the first time that I was the one that triggered the warning ! As we were walking back to the truck in the brush, I stepped on a rock and heard a warning rattle. According to my coworker, I jumped back as if I'd seen a snake, but I was dead quiet. I hadn't seen the snake and his rattling was intermittent, so I guess survival kicked in and I was silent so I could hear the next warning. We found him coiled up under a bitterbrush, less than a foot from where I'd stepped. Needless to say, the rest of the hike back to the truck was a piece of cake. Go adrenaline !

2. Back at the office, we startled a family of California quail that had apparently been resting in the plants just outside our back door. We thought we'd seen them all adorably run off, but shortly my coworker said that he needed my help ! One of the babies had apparently run in the door as we were opening it and was cornered in the supply room. The poor, frightened little thing was cowering under a desk. We were able to chase it into a box and let it outside. I wish I did have my camera ! Too cute.

Working four 10-hour days has its perks. It's easy to get the time in during our field season, and now my weekend has begun !

No comments:

Post a Comment