Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dear California Chukar Hunters


The 2010-2011 California chukar season closes January 30. Good luck, hunters!


Most of the Google searches leading to this blog lately are about chukar hunting. I'm not a chukar hunter. But as part of my job I am responsible for managing wildlife, including game species, on public lands. So I'll try to provide something of use. This post won't be exhaustive, but I'll update it whenever I have new information to share.

10/14/2010 - Quail, chukar season looking fantastic, an article in the San Bernardino Sun predicting "This will be an upland bird season to remember."

Where to Find Them (Mono and Inyo Counties)

9/9/10 - One of our employees returned from the Inyo Mountains Wilderness and said that he was seeing chukar everywhere!

Inyo Mountains Wilderness (5 miles east of Lone Pine) - If you choose to explore this remote area, please respect all rules, bring plenty of water, and only drive on designated routes. Leave No Trace!

Crater Mountain Wilderness Study Area (2 miles south of Big Pine) - The WSA report claims that this area is a popular chukar hunting spot.

Rules and Regulations

2010-2011 Upland Game Hunting Season Summary (California Department of Fish and Game)

2010-2011 Upland Game Bird Hunting Regulations (State of California Fish and Game Commission)

Do you have anything to add? A lot of people end up at this post and I'd like to make it as helpful as possible! Feel free to add comments of your own observations.

1 comment:

  1. Just dropped by to say thanks for the hints on Chukar spots. It's enough to get someone started without blowing up any specific spot. Not that there are that many hunters out there ever (or it's just so vast you don't run in to many). For the record I love Owens Valley, I go several times every year to camp and soak in the various hot springs in the area and also hunt waterfowl through the winter. I've heard rumors for years that there are chukar in the valley and I eyed those lava fields more than once thinking "I bet there are chukar in those hills" :). I just never took a day away from waterfowling to try for them.

    I recently moved to the Bay Area so it's unfortunately not as easy to access Owens Valley as it used to be from Los Angeles but I still plan to visit at least one week a year... right around this time of the year I just start getting an itch that says it's almost time to go to Owens valley :)

    Thanks again for the information, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete