Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Late Summer Seed Collecting

Today, Martin and I completed four seed collections for the Seeds of Success program. We aim for 10,000 seeds from 50 different plants for each species. Not a small undertaking. Success! Neither of us had been up to Cowtrack Mountain before, and it was absolutely beautiful. The photo below looks out over Adobe Valley between Granite Mountain (left) and Antelope Mountain (right of center).



Cercocarpus ledifolius var. intermontanus
curl-leaf mountain mahogany

itchy success!

Note: I've always found mountain mahogany to be particularly beautiful. The hair-lined extensions of the fruits glow in daylight, giving the entire plant a soft haloed appearance. Well, today I found out that those pretty little hairs are like fiberglass. I'm not sure I can ever look at the plant in the same way again...


hopefully viable success!

Leymus cinereus
Great Basin wild rye

Erioganum umbellatum
sulfur flower

umbellievable success!

delirious success!

Grayia spinosa
spiny hop-sage

2 comments:

  1. this is so cool! I wish I was doing more progressive restoration work like this, killing invasives, while important, can be a drag.. but fiberglass seeds doesn't sound like fun either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get there, Des! So proud of you kicking tail up north! Have a good semester! :)

    ReplyDelete