Thursday, June 24, 2010

Aurora Canyon, Bodie Hills

Today, my coworkers and I met with an engineer to discuss options for repairing headcuts along Aurora Canyon Creek in the Bodie Hills. A headcut occurs when a portion of the stream bottom suddenly drops away due to excessive erosion. If not restored, the headcut can "unzip" and form an incised channel or a gully in a meadow. I won't bore you with more details, but I thought you might appreciate some photos of wildflowers in bloom !


a small headcut


my "office"

Castilleja sp.
paintbrush


Delphinium andersonii
larkspur


Astragalus sp.


Circium scariosum
var. congdonii


Lewisia rediviva
bitteroot


Phacelia humilis

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos Lil! I love that little onion especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lewisia? :) It's not the easiest to mess with layouts on this blog, but I added labels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, oops dumb me, yep I was talking about the Lewisia that is NOT an onion :D

    ReplyDelete