Sunday, August 15, 2010

Troubles with Technology

I was super excited to find out that we had a Pettersson bat detector and the corresponding SonoBat software. With it, I can record bat calls and compare them to reference files to find out what bat species are emerging from abandoned mines or using ponds for foraging and drinking. I took it out to another outflight count that Joy and I conducted on thursday evening.


mine entrance with bat gate


detector ready to record

This is how calls of Townsend's big-eared bats (Corynorhinus townsendii) should appear.

This is what I got. Argh!

Apparently the detector was picking up noise when it triggered. It wasn't doing that when I tested it in the office beforehand, so I'll have to see if I can figure out the problem. Never a dull moment!

1 comment:

  1. silly lily, you cant listen to your Ipod when your using bat call detectors!!! haha...dude, even when unsophisticated equipment (like thermometers!) don't work in the field, it's annoying and frustrating...it makes you want to throw them in the lake (or into a mine?). Good luck for the future though!

    ReplyDelete