Thursday, August 19, 2010

Moth Mystery...Solved!

Today I came across an awesome moth on a basin big sagebrush (Artemisia tridentata ssp. tridentata). I wish I knew more about moths...I seem to always think I'm seeing a tiger moth (family Arctiidae), but they never actually turn out to be one. I wasn't sure if the sagebrush was significant in this case, but it turns out that it was! As far as I can tell (thank you, internets), it's Hemileuca hera (family Saturniidae, wild silk moths), the Hera buckmoth or sagebrush sheep moth. They are indeed active during the day, and I may have disturbed her laying her eggs on the sagebrush. I'm sure she had no problem finding another shrub to lay her eggs on. They'll overwinter and hatch next April-June...and will look like a photo of a caterpillar I had in a previous post! I guess I've come full circle (or is it full life-cycle?) on Hemileuca hera!

Hemileuca hera on Artemisia tridentata ssp. tridentata

I love this orange, fuzzy face!
I believe this caterpillar I previously observed is Hemileuca hera

No comments:

Post a Comment